The elderberry is a medicinal fruit that has been used for centuries for its potent anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory properties. Hippocrates recognized the elderberry’s powerful healing properties as early as 400AD. Elderberry was also popular with Native American tribes, as well as people in Northern Africa, Asia and throughout Europe.
Used for its antioxidant activity to lower cholesterol, improve vision, boost the immune system, improve heart health and for coughs, colds, flu, bacterial and viral infections and tonsillitis. Elderberry juice was used to treat a flu epidemic in Panama in 1995.
Elderberry contains a unique compound called Antivirin that can help protect healthy cells and inactivate infectious viruses.
Studies show that consuming black elderberry in concentrated form may be beneficial to help boost the immune system at times when it may be weakened, such as when suffering from a cold, flu or other viruses.
Elderberry is an effective alternative to the standard over the counter cough/cold /flu medicines and can help:
1. break up mucous
2. relieve congestion
3. eliminate coughing
4. soothe an upset stomach
5. reduce earaches
6. induce sleep during a fever.
ELDERBERRY ICE POPS RECIPE (kid – friendly)
These delicious elderberry ice pops are packed with antioxidants, vitamin C, iron, potassium, and vitamin B6 and are perfect to combat a flu or cold.
1. 6 scoops Flora elderberry crystals
(@florahealthy makes the best delicious and easy to dissolve elderberry crystals)
2. 2 cups of water
3. 1 Tbsp raw honey
4. Handful of frozen blueberries5. 2tbsp lemon juiceBlend all the ingredients and pour into popsicle molds. Enjoy!
ELDERBERRY GUMMIES RECIPE
Elderberry Gummies are a great way to get in some gut-healing nutrients, and flu busting antioxidants.
- Place lemon juice and blueberries and elderberry crystals in a blender and blend on high until completely mixed. Pour into a saucepan.
- Add the honey and gelatin and whisk together. You will have a thick paste. Turn the heat on low, and continue to whisk the mixture for 5-10 minutes, until it becomes thin and everything is incorporated. Take off the heat.
- Pour into silicone molds or a small baking dish. Set in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to firm up.
- If you used a small baking dish as a receptacle, cut into bite-size squares. Otherwise, remove gummies from their molds and enjoy!