This is about detoxing the body’s largest gland, the liver. Without a liver, a person cannot survive. It has a number of functions including, but not limited to:
• Detoxifying the blood to rid it of harmful substances (like toxins, drugs, alcohol and more)
• Stores vitamins and iron
• Converts stored sugar to usable sugar when the body’s sugar levels fall below normal
• Produces bile, a substance needed to digest fats
• Breaks down hemoglobin as well as insulin and other hormones
• Destroys old red blood cells
The liver performs so many vital functions, and as a result it is very prone to disease.
What damages the liver?
Some foods and additives flood the liver with chemicals, interfering with its ability to adequately clear the body of toxins.
· Genetically modified foods (GMOs)
· Trans fats and hydrogenated oils
· High fructose corn syrup
· Sodas loaded with chemicals and artificial sweeteners
· MSG, a food additive and flavor enhancer found in almost all processed foods
· Alcohol, especially if you have liver disease
· Processed and fast foods devoid of adequate nutrition
· Soy-based foods, unless fermented
· Medicines that can overload the liver causing long-term damage.
Lifestyle changes support the digestive system, helping to strengthen liver function and lessen the burden on detoxification.
· Regular exercise stimulates digestion
· Chew food well to release digestive enzymes
· Encourage sweating to remove toxins through the skin, relieving the liver
· Maintain intestinal health by avoiding toxin buildup in the bowel
· Avoid smoking cigarettes
· Use chemical-free, cleaning and personal care products
· Avoid chemical yard and bug sprays
Herbs, supplements and homeopathic remedies repair damage and maintain liver health. Consult a natural health practitioner for dosing guidelines.
· Milk thistle fights oxidation and free radicals, reversing cirrhosis
· Burdock root cleanses the liver and assists detoxification
· Green tea is high in catechins that support liver function
· Dandelion is a natural detox flush
· Turmeric reduces inflammation relieving symptoms of cirrhosis
· Cinnamon reduces blood levels of glucose and fructose slowing development of fatty liver disease
· Aloe vera is a digestive tonic and pain reliever
· Alpha Lipoic Acid possesses antioxidant properties; supporting healthy liver function
· Activated charcoal protects the liver by absorbing toxins
· Ayurveda suggests cleansing the liver with highly alkaline sugarcane or pomegranate juice
· Mix turmeric powder with milk and drink daily
· Chewing fennel seeds after meals aids digestion
· Avoid supplementing with iron unless under medical supervision
Detox Your Liver With These 19 Super Foods
1. Beets and Carrots: Carrots are rich in Glutathione, a protein that helps detoxify the liver. Both are extremely high in plant-flavonoids and beta-carotene. Eating beats and carrots can help stimulate and improve overall liver function.
2. Tomatoes: They have abundant amounts of Glutathione (see article above) which again, are a great detoxifier for the liver. As a side effect Lycopene in tomatoes will protect against breast, skin and lung cancer.
3. Grapefruit: Another source of the liver cleansing glutathione. It’s also high in vitamin C and antioxidants, this boosts the production of the liver detoxification enzymes and increases the natural cleansing process of the liver.
4. Spinach: Raw Spinach is a major source of glutathione that triggers toxin cleansing enzymes of the liver.
5. Citrus Fruits: Lemons and Lime contain very high amounts of vitamin C, which helps stimulate the liver and aids the synthesizing of toxic materials into substances that can be absorbed by water.
6. Cabbage: The isothiocyanates (ITCs) made from cabbage’s glucosinolates provides liver detoxifying enzymes that help flush out toxins.
7. Turmeric: Turmeric is the liver’s favorite spice and helps boost liver detox. It does this by assisting enzymes that actively flush out dietary carcinogens.
8. Walnuts: Walnuts are a good source of glutathione, omega-3 fatty acids and amino acid arginine, which support the normal liver cleansing actions, especially in detoxifying ammonia.
9. Avocados: The nutrient-dense superfood, avocado helps the body produce glutathione
10. Apples: They are high in pectin and other chemicals essential to cleanse and release toxins from the digestive tract. Apples make it easier for the liver to handle the toxic load during the cleansing process.
11. Brussels sprouts: Brussels sprouts are high in sulfur and antioxidant glucosinolate, which forces the liver to release enzymes that block damage from environmental or dietary toxins.
12. Garlic: Garlic is loaded with sulfur that activates liver enzymes that help your body flush out toxins. Garlic also holds high amounts of allicin and selenium, two natural compounds that aid in liver cleansing.
13. Dandelion: Dandelion root tea assists the liver in breaking down fats, producing amino acids and generally ridding it of toxins.
14. Leafy Green Vegetables: Green Veggies are extremely high in plant chlorophyll’s that absorb environmental toxins, increase bile production, neutralize heavy metals, chemicals and pesticides, which lowers the burden on the liver.
15. Cruciferous Vegetables: Eating broccoli and cauliflower will increase production of enzymes glucosinolate in your system that help flush out carcinogens and other toxins.
16. Asparagus: Asparagus is a great diuretic helping in the cleansing process and sharing the detox load of the liver and kidneys.
17. Green Tea: Green tea is full of plant antioxidants known as catechins, a compound known to assist liver function.
18. Olive Oil: Cold-pressed organic oils such as olive, hemp and flax-seed are great support for the liver, providing the body with a liquid base that can suck up harmful toxins in the body.
19. Alternative Grains: Gluten rich grains such as wheat, flour, or other whole grains increase the load on the liver’s detox function and enzyme production. Switch to alternative grains like quinoa, millet and buckwheat.
Acupuncture Point for liver health
Liver 3 – This powerful point balances the Liver meridian. The Lv 3 Acupressure point is a major gateway for energy that flows up your body. It also relieves toxicity, and all kinds of allergic reactions, especially bloodshot eyes, tired or strained eyes, frustration, irritability, and neuromuscular disorders.
It is located between the big toe and the second toe. Start where the base of these two toes join on the foot and slide your finger toward the ankle. The point is located at the “V” in the bones where your finger stops. Massage point on both feet for a few minutes a day.